The Rozhen Monastery is located among eroding sandy mounts, with the mass of the Pirin filling the horizon. With mediaeval origins uncertain, but probable, the monastic complex is a fortress-like compound with the shape of an irregular hexagon. Inside, it is a delightful and peaceful place, with cobble-stone pavement, a cosy little church painted with mediaeval murals, and living quarters adorned with wooden porches, with vines climbing on them. An old water fountain is running, filling the air with its murmur.
The monastery we see today is the result of building and rebuilding, painting and repainting, that took place between the 16th and the 18th centuries. Back at the time the monastery was independent from the Constantinople Patriarchate, that under the Ottomans controlled the Eastern Orthodox part of the empire's population. The low church was painted for the last time in the early 18th century by a group of artists who made the internal murals and the icon doors. The fact that there were no later additions make the Nativity of the Mother of God church a rare example of a whole artistic ensemble, united with a common style and artistic concept. In 1715, the church got also stained glass windows. They are still the only one of this kind in Bulgaria.
Such construction and investment in fancy art shows that the monastery was doing well at the end of the 17th and the beginning of the 18th century. As the decades progressed, however, the Rozhen Monastery found itself in dire financial straits. To avoid going bust, it said farewell to its independence and became a property of the Iviron Monastery, a Georgian-controlled community in Mount Athos.
The supposedly miraculous icon of the Holy Mother
This triggered two changes. Georgian monks settled in Rozhen, and a copy of the supposedly miraculous icon of the Mother of God from Iviron was brought to the monastery. It is still here, in the monastic church. Reportedly, it is also miraculous. On the monastery's feast day, 8 September, the Nativity of the Mother of God, the icon is taken out with a solemn procession, attended by hundreds of believers.
The ownership of the Rozhen Monastery became an issue after the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913. Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia took the region of Macedonia from the Ottoman Empire, and divided it among themselves. The Rozhen Monastery became a part of Bulgaria proper, but as its mother monastery was in Mount Athos, which was in Greece, the latter claimed ownership rights. The issue dragged for years (as well as many more reasons for bad blood between the two countries). It was finally solved in Bulgaria's favour by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague, in the 1920s.
The Rozhen Monastery is connected to the fate of Macedonia in another way. It was the last abode of revolutionary Yane Sandanski. Sandanski believed that Macedonia should be an independent entity within a future Balkan federation. This attracted the ire of his more radical comrades from the VMORO, or Internal Macedonian and Edirne Revolutionary Organisation, who insisted that the whole of Macedonia should be in Bulgaria.
In 1915, a day after he left the Rozhen Monastery on a trip, Sandanski was ambushed and killed. He was buried outside the monastery.
The monastery's name comes from a corruption of the Bulgarian Rozhdestvo Bogorodichno, or Nativity of the Mother of God. The name crept onto a nearby village. Until recently, the Rozhen village was a small, quiet place with several wonderful houses surviving from the Revival Period, but ill-conceived construction of "new traditional" restaurants and hotels has killed its atmosphere.
The charming Revival Period architecture that gives the monastery the feel of both an impregnable fortress and a pleasant mansion
The monastery is located in one of the most surreal landscapes in Bulgaria, the Melnik sand pyramids. A trail leads from the Rozhen Monastery to town
The Ladder of Virtue scene depicts the sins, the evils and the temptations a monk should overcome on his way to Heaven
To the left of the church entrance is a portrait of Melania, a nun, who was a donor of the monastery
The refectory preserves some murals from the 16th and the 17th centuries. According to research, it was built over an earlier mediaeval building
High Beam is a series of articles, initiated by Vagabond Magazine, with the generous support of the America for Bulgaria Foundation, that aims to provide details and background of places, cultural entities, events, personalities and facts of life that are sometimes difficult to understand for the outsider in the Balkans. The ultimate aim is the preservation of Bulgaria's cultural heritage – including but not limited to archaeological, cultural and ethnic diversity. The statements and opinionsexpressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the America for Bulgaria Foundation and its partners.