Think you know Bulgaria and the Bulgarians? Take our quiz to doublecheck...
1. Why did the government declare an emergency situation in Sofia in April?
A. Because of the lack of sufficient parking spaces
B. Because the main thoroughfares and boulevards were closed for repair work
C. Because of a refuse collection problem in the city
2. Who celebrates their nameday on Gergyovden?
A. Everybody with the surname Georgiev
B. Everyboby called Georgi and Gergana
C. Everybody whose name begins with "G"
3. What is the population of Bulgaria, according to the latest National Institute of Statistics data?
A. 7.6 million
B. 6.7 million
C. 8.1 million
4. At the end of May you can see teenagers dressed up to the nines arriving at restaurants sounding their car horns. What are they celebrating?
A. Their admission to prestigious colleges and universities
B. Their graduation from school
C. The wedding of a classmate
5. What date is the Day of the Bulgarian Alphabet and Culture?
A. 11 May
B. 23 May
C. 24 May
6. When do Bulgarians have to work instead of 4 and 5 May, which have officially been declared bank holidays?
A. On 16 and 30 May
B. On 9 and 23 May
C. On 16 and 23 May
7. How many investigations of kidnapping cases has the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office started over the past three years?
8. Which is the Bulgarians' favourite book, according to the BBC-based Big Read TV show on Bulgarian National Television?
A. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
B. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
C. Under the Yoke by Ivan Vazov
9. Stanka Zlateva won four gold medals at the European:
A. weightlifting championships
B. wrestling championships
C. shooting championships
The correct answers:
1. C; 2. B; 3. A; 4. B; 5. C; 6. A; 7. B; 8. C; 9. B